Sunday

LiP | Interview | Conveying Correctness | print version: "If people accuse me of being PC, I say, 'If, by 'PC,' you mean I seek to be courteous and not offend people intentionally, then of course I'm PC.' The only way to really deal with that kind of charge is to say: 'If you mean by that, I'm concerned about unfairness in American society based on race and gender and other factors, absolutely true. Guilty as charged. If you mean by that, I wring my hands and whine a lot, no, I don't think that's a fair criticism.' So you basically hand it back to them and say, 'You know, I'm not accepting that frame. Let's debate the definition, and in the course of that I'm going to reveal that really what you're saying is that you're tired of hearing about race and gender, and you don't want to have a conversation about what's fair.' Then they usually complain, 'That's not what I'm saying at all!' and then you tease it out and say, 'Well, what are you saying?' And they don't have an answer, because 99% of the people who use the term don't understand how they're using it."

No comments: